- Green & Yellow Beans with Almonds, Garlic and a Grapefruit Butter Emulsion
- Prep Time: 30 Mins ~ Cook Time: 30 Mins (Serves 4 People)
Grapefruit Butter Emulsion Ingredients:
- 1/3 Cup White Wine
- 1 Grapefruit – Cut in Half (1 Half of the Grapefruit Juiced – 1 Half of the Grapefruit Segmented)
- 1/2 Shallot – Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter – Cubed and Chilled
- 2 Handfuls of Green Beans (1 Handful = Approximately 12-15 Beans) – Blanched and Shocked in Ice Water and Cut in Half Lengthwise
- 2 Handfuls of Yellow Beans (1 Handful = Approximately 12-15 Beans) – Blanched and Shocked in Ice Water and Cut in Half Lengthwise
- 1 Small Shallot – Peeled, Cut in Half and Sliced Thin
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic – Peeled and Minced
- 1 Small Handful of Italian Parsley Leaves – Ripped By Hand (Add Chervil or Chives if Desired)
- 1/8 Cup Roasted Unsalted Almonds
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Method for Grapefruit Butter Emulsion:
1. In a small sauce pot reduce white wine at high heat until you have roughly a tablespoon remaining in your pot. Remove from heat.
2. Add grapefruit juice and shallot. Place pot back onto high heat and reduce until you have just under 2 tablespoons of liquid remaining in the pot. Remove from heat.
3. Remove butter from the refrigerator and place pot on low heat. With a wisk in hand, start wisking your reduction while adding 1 or 2 butter cubes. Continue to add another 1-2 butter cubes after the first butter cubes have fully emulsified. Repeat this process until all of the butter cubes are used up. **Chef’s note: If you notice the butter starting to split, quickly remove from heat and continue to wisk while adding a few cubes of the chilled butter. To ensure a stable emulsion – you may use an immersion blender or any other kind of blender.
4. Wisk in grapefruit segments and keep warm on stove top until ready to serve.
Method for Green and Yellow Beans:
1. In a medium to large sized skillet, preheat 2 tablespoons of olive oil at medium heat.
2. Add shallot and cook until translucent.
3. Add blanched (halved) beans and roasted almond, cook for 30 seconds. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds while stirring continuously.
4. Stir in your herbs and season to taste.
5. When ready to serve, place green and yellow beans into a large serving bowl and pour your warm grapefruit butter emulsion over top.