Prep Time: 40 Mins ~ Cook Time: 60-70 Mins
Pastry Crust Ingredients:
- 350 Grams Flour
- 4 Grams Salt
- 14 Grams Sugar
- 225 Grams Butter (Cubed and Refrigerated)
- 60-120 mL Ice Water
Pastry Crust Method:
1. With a food processor or with a fork, combine the butter into the flour sugar and salt mixture until pea-meal consistency. Add water and combine until the mix is loosely incorporated together. You should not work it until it is a full smooth dough.
2. Overlap 2 long strips of saran wrap and place loose dough on the top of the saran wrap. Lightly form into a circular flat mound. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours and then it will be ready to roll out and be placed into your pie shell.
3. Roll out the dough thinly to line your baking dish. Save the excess to cut strips for your lattice (on top of the pie).
4. Set pie crust aside. Refrigerate until you are ready to add pie filling and lattice.
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 9″ Pastry Crust (As Above)
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 8 Granny Smith Apples ~ Peeled, Cored and Sliced
Apple Pie Filling Method:
1. Preheat oven to 425F. In a sauce pot, melt butter and wisk in flour. Add both sugars and stir in water. Bring this mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Once you have turned your sauce pot down, remove your pie crust from the refrigerator. Toss your cinnamon and apples together and fill the pie crust until it is 1/2 inch above the lip.
3. Place your lattice work over the top of the apple mixture and slowly pour your sugar mixture from your sauce pot over the top of the apples. This is done slowly to ensure the sugar mixture does not flow outside of the crust..
4. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes is up, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and cook for 50-60 minutes.
5. Let cool for 2 hours before serving. Add ice cream or whipped cream, dolce de leche or chocolate sauce for special topping.