Prep Time: 10 Minutes ~ Rising Time: Roughly 2 Hours and 20 Minutes ~ Cook Time: 16-19 Minutes
Makes 24 Rolls
- 4 Cups of Bread Flour (Use Gluten Free Flour Cup-For-Cup to Make this Recipe Gluten-Free)
- 1 Cup of Warm Water
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tablespoons of Soft Butter (Plus 1 Tablespoon of Butter for Brushing Buns After Baking)
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons of Powdered Milk
- 2 Teaspoons of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Instant Dry Yeast
1. Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of warm water and yeast. Allow to sit for a least 2 minutes.
2. In an electric mixing bowl (fitted with a dough hook), combine all of the dry ingredients and turn on mixer to the first (lowest speed) setting.
3. Add the egg and butter to your dry ingredients while it is still mixing.
4. Stir your yeast/water mixture once again, then slowly add it to the ingredients in your electric mixing bowl. Allow all ingredients to mix for 3 1/2 minutes at the lowest speed. You may need to stop every once in a while (in the beginning stages of your mixture) in order to push excess ingredients from the sides of the bowl into the centre to be evenly mixed.
5. Once 3 1/2 minutes of mixing is completed, turn your electric mixer to the next highest speed (second lowest on your mixer). Mix for another 3 1/2 minutes. Once the dough has finished mixing, remove bowl from its stand, cover with Saran Wrap and place in a warm area (ie: on the stove top while the oven is preheating).
6. Let dough rise for approximately 1 hour and 10 mins.
7. Gently turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Gingerly stretch out the dough with your hands or use a rolling pin depending on your desired thickness.
8. Begin to cut the dough into even shapes. You may choose any style. Square shapes tend to utilize your dough more efficiently but you may cut into circles, triangles, rectangles or what-have-you.
9. Place your cut dough pieces onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Try not to handle the dough pieces too much. Arrange the pieces evenly on the cookie sheet approximately 1/4 inch apart (or almost touching).
10. Lightly flour the top surface of your cut dough and loosely wrap with Saran Wrap. Place the cookie sheet back into a warm area (or back onto the preheated stove top). Allow to rise a second time (approximately 45 minutes or until they become pillowy to touch).
11. Bake at 400F for 16-19 minutes (or until golden brown).
12. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack and brush with extra butter. Serve warm or cold! We recommend serving warm with whipped butter or Dijon Mustard.
13. These buns are great for mopping up left-over gravy OR for making sandwiches with left over turkey on the day after Thanksgiving! Yum! Great “Monday Night Football” leftover turkey sandwich snacks!!