Prep Time: 30-40 Mins ~ Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 lb of Fresh Cranberries
- 1 Cup of Chardonnay Wine
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Orange (One Half Juiced, One Half Peeled and Segmented)
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- Phyllo Pastry (One Box- Let Thaw in Refrigerator)
- 1 Small Round of Brie Cheese (Cut 1/2 Inch Thick X 2 Inches Long)
- 3/4 Cup of Walnuts
- 1/2 lb of Melted Butter or Clarified Butter
Method (Cranberry Sauce):
1. In a medium-sized pot combine cranberries, wine, sugar, salt and orange juice. Bring to a boil and simmer (with lid off) for 30 mins, stirring occasionally. For the last 10 mins of cooking, add your orange segments.
2. If your cranberry sauce seems too liquid, continue to cook for an additional 10 mins. Taste product for desired flavour. You may add more sugar if it is too tart for your liking or you may squeeze in more orange etc.
3. Remove cranberry sauce from pot and place into a bowl over an ice bath to immediately chill. Stir occasionally.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Dampen a towel and remove phyllo from packaging. Place the damp towel over top of your stack of phyllo pastry. This ensures the phyllo will not dry out.
2. Gently remove one sheet of phyllo onto a cutting board ensuring that you cover the remaining stack of phyllo with your dampened cloth. Brush your melted butter evenly over the entire sheet of phyllo. Gently remove another sheet of phyllo and place over your buttered sheet. Place one end down onto your buttered sheet and continue to lay it slowly across until the entire buttered sheet is evenly covered with your new piece of phyllo. Brush the new sheet with melted butter. Repeat this whole process one more time (so you have three full layers of buttered phyllo evenly layered one on top of the other).
3. With a sharp knife, cut three columns vertically and then cut another three columns horizontally. Make more stacks of layered phyllo until you use up all of your filling. **You may cut whatever shapes you feel most comfortable working with. Note: you will need enough phyllo to overlap and seal the envelope in order to prevent seepage during cooking.
4. Inside all of the shapes, lay one tablespoon of walnuts. Continue to place one piece of brie overtop of the walnuts. Finally, add one tablespoon of your chilled cranberry sauce.
5. Fold one edge of the phyllo over top of the filling. Gently press down along the sides of the filling to enclose the phyllo around it. Brush your fold with melted butter and continue to roll your phyllo in the same direction of your first fold. Brush with butter again. Finish up by folding one side over the top, brush with butter and fold your final side over top.
6. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place each individually wrapped phyllo (fold side down) into rows on your parchment. Brush tops of phyllo with melted butter for a final time. Place into the freezer for 10-15 mins (this is an important step as it will prevent the phyllo from becoming soggy during cooking).
7. Place into the oven for 12-16 minutes (or until golden brown). Remove and let cool before serving.
Chef’s Note: Before you assemble all of the pieces, try to assemble one first and bake to ensure it is folded well enough to hold in the filling.