Add a little aromatics to your balsamic vinegar. This recipe will give your old balsamic vinegar a new twist! It will also add a little sweetness and change the thickness to more of a glaze. Try this simple recipe today!
Prep Time: 5 Minutes ~ Cook Time: 10-15 Minutes
400 mls of Balsamic Vinegar
1 Shallot Peeled and Cut in Half
1 Sprig of Thyme
1 Tsp of Sugar
1 Bay Leaf
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
2. Cook on high until mixture comes to a boil.
3. Turn temperature to 3/4 heat.
4. Continue to cook at 3/4 heat until bubbles become small and tight.
5. Your mixture is done reducing once the fluid level reduces to less than half (approximately 1/4) of it’s original volume. Be careful not to burn the mixture (stay close to the stove while the mixture is reducing to monitor the level of liquid).
6. Once the fluid level is reduced to below half, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Let your mixture cool in the refrigerator. Once it has cooled – you may check the glaze to ensure it has reduced enough. If you would like it to reduce to a thicker consistency – you may follow the same steps above until it has reduced even further.